ABA Therapy helps manage challenging behaviors for children with ASD
- ABA Therapy is a common form of therapy for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), and it can help with challenging behavior.
- Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBAs) devise customized treatment plans tailored to each child.
- ABA Therapy uses positive reinforcement to improve behaviors and functionality.
- It also helps caregivers teach strategies to ensure that gains are sustainable.
What is ABA Therapy?
ABA Therapy is a safe and effective form of therapy for children who have Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). ABA Therapy is used to teach new skills, improve communication and social skills, and encourage positive behaviors.
There are seven essential goals for ABA therapy:
- Identify behaviors that can improve
- Set realistic goals and define outcomes
- Identify how to measure progress and improvement
- Evaluate the starting point
- Assist the child in learning new skills, including coping skills, to manage behavior
- Review the child’s progress
- Evaluate what further therapy, if any, may be necessary
After an evaluation, an ABA therapist will develop a customized plan for your child to improve their behavioral, social, and communication skills. Parents, teachers, family members, and other caregivers for the child will also be involved in the process so they understand how to reinforce the behavioral changes at home, school, and other community settings.
The goals of ABA Therapy
Because each child is unique, treatment goals will vary from individual to individual. Treatment plan goals are devised based on the age and abilities of the child and will take into account regressive behaviors.
Goals may encompass a variety of skills, such as:
- Social skills
- Activities of daily living like toileting or hygiene
- Motor skills
- Communication and language skills
- Having an individualized treatment plan will ensure your child can work on the skills they need to develop.
The benefits of ABA Therapy
There are many benefits to using ABA therapy for children with ASD. Here are some of the many benefits:
- ABA Therapy is flexible and can be adapted to meet each child’s unique needs.
- It can be utilized in groups or with one-to-one instruction.
- It teaches caregivers the skills to reinforce behaviors, which is needed for sustainable outcomes.
- The skills taught in ABA Therapy support promoting independence in individuals’ lives.
- ABA Therapy uses positive reinforcement as opposed to punishment.
An ABA therapist can also collaborate with other professionals, such as occupational therapists, to help children increase their functionality.
Get support from a qualified ABA therapist in the Chicago, IL area
Watching your child struggle with challenging behaviors because of ASD can be frustrating, and parents may struggle to manage these behaviors on their own. Lumiere Children’s Therapy offers in-office and home-based ABA Therapy from board-certified behavior analysts. An ABA therapist can help your child learn socially appropriate behaviors and help parents learn how to reinforce the desired behaviors at home.
Lumiere Children’s Therapy is dedicated to helping children improve their functionality, so they can complete tasks on their own. We offer assistance with:
- Motor planning
- Gross motor and fine motor delays
- Body awareness
- Coordination skills
- Functional skills, such as stairs
- Daily self-care skills
- Visual motor integration
- Visual perceptual skills
- Social and peer interaction skills
- Sensory processing
- Strength and coordination
- Early development with infants
- Sensory processing
We can help children with specialized diagnoses, such as:
- Sensory processing disorder
- Developmental delay
- Fine motor delay
- Cerebral palsy
- Brachial plexus injury
- Down syndrome
- Learning delays
- Visual processing disorders
- Motor incoordination
- Chromosomal abnormalities
Lumiere Children’s Therapy also provides a host of other pediatric therapies to help children with a wide range of physical, emotional, and developmental conditions achieve traditional childhood milestones.
Our services include:
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Developmental therapy
- Social work
- Early intervention
- Augmentative alternative communication
- Physical therapy
Lumiere Children’s Therapy is a full-service pediatric therapy practice located in Chicago. We focus on providing services catered to the developmental needs of children from birth to 18 years of age. Be sure to learn more about how our clinicians work diligently to improve the lives of the children and families they serve.