How Applied Behavior Analysis Therapy works at home
- ABA Therapy is designed to reinforce positive behaviors and help children with ASD develop skills.
- In-home therapy includes a customized treatment plan designed to meet each child’s needs and goals.
- All sessions are conducted by ABA Therapists.
- Ability to work on skills that are important at home, such as morning/night routines, self-care, mealtimes, etc.
- Children are able to learn in their natural environment.
- More opportunities to train and communicate with parents/caregivers.
If your child has been diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), you understand the importance of helping him or her master new skills to lead more independent lives. Stressful situations can trigger a range of behaviors, which can lead to frustration on both ends.
There are options available to help alleviate some of this frustration. Your child can learn age-appropriate skills and demonstrate positive behaviors with the help of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Therapy. Lumiere Children’s Therapy is now offering in-home ABA Therapy.
We talk about the many ways that home-based ABA Therapy can benefit your child and your entire family.
Understanding ABA Therapy
ABA Therapy is designed to help children on the autism spectrum develop social, communication, and self-help skills. It can also help parents and caregivers learn day-to-day strategies to help manage challenging behaviors they see within the home.
ABA Therapy is personalized to the unique skills and behaviors of your child. Therapy sessions incorporate five common components: task analyses, chaining, prompting, prompt fading, and shaping, which help teach children new skills.
In short, ABA Therapy is about breaking down complex tasks into smaller steps and teaching children to complete them as independently as possible. Positive reinforcement is used to encourage new behaviors and ensure the continuation of newly learned skills.
Parental and family involvement is essential to the success of ABA Therapy. Therapy sessions include educating parents and other family members about the ways to recognize triggers and use various strategies to reduce inappropriate behavior by teaching appropriate alternatives to communicate more appropriately.
The benefits of at-home ABA Therapy
Lumiere Children’s Therapy recently added at-home ABA Therapy to our list of services. Your child can receive a customized treatment plan from one of our Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBAs), delivered in the comfort of your home. It is an ideal way to teach skills that can be used at home, including daily routines, potty training, feeding, getting dressed, and other self-care skills (brushing hair/teeth, bathing, washing face, etc.) Therapy at home is also beneficial for improving sibling interactions, independent play skills, communication, and pre-academic skills.
Other benefits of home-based ABA:
- By learning skills in the natural environment, your child is likely to repeat those actions in settings outside the home.
- You’ll both learn how to navigate stressful situations at home.
- Individualized, undivided attention from a qualified, trusted therapist.
- Flexibility for parents to complete other household tasks while their child is working toward his/her therapy goals
- Helps develop pre-academic and play skills to encourage more independence.
- More opportunities to incorporate parents and other family members into lessons.
Start home-based ABA Therapy today
ABA Therapy provides a multifaceted approach to teaching skills and improving inappropriate behaviors. At-home sessions can benefit your child in numerous ways without the concern that therapy gains will not carry over into everyday life. Contact us directly for details by calling (312) 242-1665.
Lumiere Children’s Therapy also provides other comprehensive therapies so children with a wide range of physical, emotional, and developmental conditions can achieve traditional milestones.
- Speech therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Developmental therapy
- Physical therapy
- Social work
- Augmentative alternative communication
- Early intervention
Lumiere Children’s Therapy is a full-service, multidisciplinary pediatric therapy practice located in Chicago that serves the developmental needs of children from birth to 18 years of age. Learn more about how our team of clinicians works to improve the lives of children and their families.