Toys are great tools to facilitate fine motor, gross motor, and speech development, but experiences spent as a family create memories of a lifetime! Instead of buying a toy from our 2017 toy list, give the gift of time by participating in a family-friendly holiday activities!
Nov.17- Jan. 1
- The Morton Arboretum decorates 50 acres of trees with colorful light displays.
- The lights create a majestic light show to the tunes of familiar Christmas songs!
Nov. 24- Jan. 7
- Zoolights at Lincoln Park Zoo is free event for all ages!
- Watch the musical light shows, sip on some hot chocolate, and participate in holiday-season activities including carousel rides, live ice-sculpture carving, and free crafts!
3. Holiday Magic
- Bring the whole family to Brookfield Zoo for the annual Holiday Magic light festival!
- Enjoy nightly music and entertainment, Twinkling LED lights, train displays caroling with the animals, and so much more!
Nov. 16- Jan. 7
- Explore rich holiday traditions from around the world at the Museum of Science and Industry.
- Admire the four-story grand Christmas tree, and enjoy live holiday performances on the weekends.
2, Elf the Musical
November 22- January 7
- “Buddy the Elf, What’s your favorite color?”. Both kids and parents will be laughing along to the Christmas comedy, Elf the Musical, at Paramount Theater.
3. Twas the Night Before Christmas
November 12- December 31st
- Enjoy the classic Christmas play, Twas the Night Before Christmas at the Broadway Playhouse in Water Tower Place.
Holiday Home Activities:
1. Cookie Baking. Each member of the family can pick their favorite recipe for a family bake off!
2. Christmas Movie Night: Enjoy a cozy night on the couch with popcorn in hand. Watch some of the Christmas classics including the Polar Express, Elf, and Home Alone. The list goes on and on.
3. Ginger Bread House: A house made of frosting and candy? Sounds like a child’s dream! This kit provides everything you need to make your own ginger bread house.
4. Ornament painting: Decorate your Christmas tree this year with your children’s beautiful creations!
5. Snow painting: Add food dye to water bottles to make beautiful, colorful artwork in the snow!
Make time this busy holiday season to spend with your loved ones. Your children will remember the days spent together more than the toys they received. Happy Holidays!
“Chicago Tree Lighting and Light Fests.” Chicago Kids, 9 Nov. 2017, www.chicagokids.com/Blog/Detail/78/chicago-tree-lightings-an